Quick History of the Region
Dalhousie, the shiretown of Restigouche County since 1837, is situated on the Bay of Chaleur, the name given to our bay by Jacques Cartier in 1534.
Before the New Brunswick International Paper Company was built in 1929, industries in the area included logging, shipbuilding, fishing, shingle and lumber mills and very importantly tourism. With the construction of the Intercolonial Railway in the late 1800s, life in the area changed. The Restigouche was no longer isolated.
Dalhousie’s Inch Arran House opened in 1884. It was built at the same time, as the Algonquin Hotel in St. Andrews, Chateau Laurier in Ottawa and the Banff Springs Hotel in Alberta. As a result, Dalhousie became recognized as a delightful vacation site and tourist attraction. Inch Arran House’s most distinguished guests were Sir John A. and Lady Agnes Macdonald.
Places To See
There are numerous activities to take part in around the region of Dalhousie. They’re all very accessible and mostly suited for all ages.
There are many locations for sports in the Dalhousie area such as a basketball court, an outdoor skating rink, a baseball field, a bowling alley, and a swimming pool at the Recreaplex.